As an early childhood teacher, I know that exposing my students to books and reading is imperative to building their literacy foundation! It is so very important for little learners to not only look at books but to HEAR books being read and to follow along with the illustrations and storyline. Each week when I am lesson planning, I am always mindful of what books I plan to read to my students or which books I will share with them via digital learning. Vooks is my favorite way to incorporate digital reading into the classroom. Have you used it? Keep Reading..You don’t want to miss this!
As a current classroom teacher, I have always used a variety of digital options for listening to reading. For instance, years ago I had a listening station that had books on tapes and books on CD. As technology has changed, I have included using books from digital platforms. So imagine my excitement when I learned of Vooks. A safe and trustworthy streaming platform for kids! There are no ads and I can feel confident that they are getting quality literature through a digital source, without fear of pop-ups or irrelevant content.
Vooks In The Classroom
+ Free Printable
I have been using Vooks in my classroom, with my entire class, as well as letting my students use Vooks independently on our classroom computers. I love the variety of books and that they have the books categorized with easy access.
I also incorporate a printable for them to use alongside Vooks. The purpose of the printable is to encourage reading comprehension. The printable is a differentiated reading response. You can download at the end of this post.
Students can listen to a story on Vooks and then respond to the story with the printable. There are two versions, to be able to help students regardless of their reading comprehension skills. One version is just characters and setting while the second version is slightly more challenging. It includes characters, setting + beginning, middle, and end.
I am happy to share some awesome news with all of my teacher friends! Vooks is offering a FREE FIRST YEAR exclusively to all school teachers and homeschool educators! All you need to do is sign up HERE and you will receive an entire year of Vooks for FREE! And, follow @vooks for latest news + updates for teachers.
My Favorite Things About Vooks
- It is a growing platform. New books are added all of the time.
- It animates the stories. Whether we want to accept it or not, children’s minds are used to the animation, bright colors, fast movements, and music that go along with all of their favorite movies and other forms of electronic entertainment. This combines the two perfectly!
- Storytime is sacred and Vooks makes it fun!
- The pace of the stories is slow enough that young children can comprehend the story, not just hear it.
- It is 100% child-friendly and ad-free!
- Vooks doesn’t change the content of the children’s books. The stories are just as we would read in the actual book!
- Download & watch anywhere.
- MOST OF ALL: My Students Love It!!