If you’re searching for engaging and purposeful ideas for your Small Group SOR Activities For Little Learners, look no further! These activities can help struggling students or those who need extra practice with literacy skills. They are fun, engaging, and meet SOR’s 4 contextual points. Check out the following ideas and get started today!!
Small group instruction is a valuable tool that can help little learners achieve success in developing their literacy skills. Here are some additional insights on the benefits of small group instruction:
- Small groups provide opportunities for little learners to receive more individualized attention from the teacher, which can help them identify and address their specific areas of difficulty.
- Collaborative learning in small groups can also promote peer-to-peer interaction and discussion, which can enhance understanding and retention of the material.
- Small group instruction can be particularly effective for struggling readers, as it allows for more targeted and intensive support.
- Small groups should always be assessment-driven. By doing so, teachers can effectively focus on and improve the specific skills that require attention.
By incorporating Science of Reading approach with small group instruction, teachers can provide little learners with the personalized support they need to achieve literacy success.
Activities For SOR Small Groups
While any literacy activity can be adapted for small group learning, some are especially suited for SOR. Once you have chosen which learners to work with and the skill to focus on, it’s important to select activities that are both engaging and meaningful to ensure academic success for your little learners.
These are some of my favorite SOR small group activities and why:
- Decodable Reading Passages | Decode Read & Draw — These reading passages are perfect for small groups. Passages are full of decodable words that are short vowel centered, as well as high-frequency words. Students draw and label a picture for comprehension.
- Decodable Reading Passages | Decode Read Cut & Glue— After reading the passages, students will cut out the retell pictures and glue in order for comprehension.
- Alphabet Tactile Tracing Pages for Small Group Guided Reading–These are tracing pages for small groups to work on finger tracing letters for muscle memory.
- Phonics Review Games | Small Group Reading Activities for Beginning Readers–A game that is simple and not too long. It comes with a game board and cards for letter ID, high-frequency words, CVC pictures, and decodable sentences. Additionally, it includes an editable page where you can add your own skills.
- Word Mapping–This SOR activity includes word mapping frame, along with CVC word cards and worksheets for Say – Map – Write – CVC Segmenting Blending. Ideal for small groups and can extend to independent practice or partner work.
- All About Blends–Introduce, teach, and practice beginning blends with ease. Bundle includes L blends, R blends, and S blends. Great for small group and independent practice.
- Sight Word Punch Cards–Editable cards for students to use highlighters and/or single hole-punch. Little learners can highlight each sight word; trace in the sentence; read and then punch out each sight word. Perfect for small group practice.
I hope that this has provided you with valuable information and resources to kickstart and enhance your SOR small group instruction. I love helping teachers intentionally teach little learners with purpose and fun!!!!