Small groups play a crucial role in the educational progress of little learners. As teachers, it’s important to have the right supplies and tools to make the most of these sessions. Here are some of my favorite Must-Have Small Group Literacy Tools For Little Learners that every teacher should have.
Small groups in kindergarten are an effective way for teachers to provide personalized attention to their little learners and create a positive learning environment. Implementing them successfully in the classroom requires careful planning and consideration of the following factors:
- Identifying the learning needs of each student: Before creating small groups, it is essential to understand the individual learning needs of each student. This will help the teacher to create groups that are balanced and cater to the needs of all students.
- Setting clear goals: The teacher should set clear goals for each small group based on the learning needs identified. This will help to ensure that the activities and tasks assigned to each group are aligned with the learning objectives.
- Creating a schedule: The teacher should create a schedule that allows for regular small group sessions. This will help to ensure that all students have an opportunity to participate in small groups and receive personalized attention from the teacher. (Click here for **FREEBIE** Small Group Teacher Planner.)
- Providing a variety of activities: Small groups should engage in a variety of activities that cater to different learning styles and interests. This will help to keep students motivated and interested in the learning process. (See Small Group SOR Activities For Little Learners.)
By taking these factors into consideration, a kindergarten teacher can successfully implement small groups in the classroom and provide a positive and effective learning experience for their little learners.
Literacy Tools For A Successful Small Group
- Magnetic Cookie Sheets
- Lined Small White Boards
- White Board Markers
- Magnetic Letters
- Letter Mats
- Jumbo Pouches for Storage (Click here for Organizational Ideas)
- Scrabble Alphabet Letters
- Magnetic Wand and Chips
- Mini Magna Doodles
- Crazy Eye Pointers
- Mini Hand Pointers
- Whisper Phones
- Ring Toss Rings
- Connecting Cubes
- Mini Slinkys/Fidget Coils
- Play-Do (Check out my DIY Play-Do Recipe)
- Alphabet Die
- Alphabet Dice Game
- Guided Reading Strips
- Word Mapping and Cards
- Decodable Books
Check out my Amazon Store for complete description of above items.
I hope you find this list of my favorite MUST-HAVE literacy small group tools helpful for purposeful practice in your kindergarten classroom. Do you have any other tools that you use to make small group literacy sessions successful? I’d love to hear about them!