I absolutely adore the Giant Kerplunk game and have utilized it for a variety of activities with my kindergarten students over the years. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find it lately. But, I’ve got great news – I made one myself! Check out my DIY Giant Kerplunk For The Classroom project and get started on building one for your own classroom.
Giant Kerplunk is an excellent addition to any classroom, but they can be challenging to locate and quite expensive. Luckily, I have a solution – I made one myself using Dollar Tree supplies! With this DIY approach, you can create your own at a fraction of the cost.
- Cut a hole toward the bottom of one of the baskets. (I was able to do this easily with scissors.)
- Fold in any sharp edges.
- Write on the ping pong balls an activity of your choice, academic skills, or by color.
- Add balls to basket.
- Invert one basket on top of the other and secure with zip ties.
- Take skewers and cut off pointed ends.
- Add skewers into the basket through the hole.
- Flip baskets over. Voila!!! A Giant Kerplunk!!
How to Use
Simply have your little learners pull out a skewer and watch as a ball falls out. This will be sure to bring excitement and a touch of entertainment to your classroom. This can be an academic practice activity, classroom management, or reward system. Check out “Using Kerplunk in the Kindergarten Classroom” for more ideas and uses.
What ideas do have for using this fun and engaging tool in your classroom?