Hello! Today I am sharing 10 Must Read Books for the First Week of Kindergarten.
If you are a kindergarten teacher, then you know what a magical grade level it is! But for many of our students, kindergarten is their first education experience and we are their first teacher. Some students come excited and eager to embrace everything about kindergarten, while others come in uneasy, nervous, and even scared. But in my years of teaching kindergarten, I have found that reading picture books in a whole group setting helps to alleviate some of those fears, during the first few days of school. So, here are 10 Must Read Books for the First Week of Kindergarten!
I know many of us have our repertoire of books that we like to read, such as The Kissing Hand
and Pete the Cat books.
But after years of reading the same fun books, I was looking for some ‘new’ Must Read Books for the First Week of Kindergarten!
- The Day my Mom Came to Kindergarten – This book is a cute book about mom being sad about the child going to kindergarten, so the girl invites the mom to stay the day. The mom doesn’t know any of the rules and embarrasses the daughter. But the girl is patient and kind, while her mother learns the rules and procedures for kindergarten!
2. Planet Kindergarten – Brand new book (8-2-16) that has current pictures and a fun theme about how awesome kindergarten is going to be!
3. On the First Day of Kindergarten – A book with a 12 Days of Christmas countdown theme. There are so many fun things to do in kindergarten and the fun has just begun!
4. Mom, It’s My First Day of Kindergarten! – It’s the first day of Kindergarten and who is nervous? Not the kid, but the mom!! And this time, it’s the kid comforting the mom!
5. Kindergarten Countdown – Love the rhyming verses in this book and the excitement that the little girl has as she awaits the start of kindergarten.
6. Jake Starts School – This is a hysterical book! Jake is at his first day of school, but doesn’t want his parents to leave. So the parents stay and Jake has to do everything with his parents, like painting, using glue, etc. Such a fun book.
7. Countdown to Kindergarten – Another countdown book to the first day of kindergarten, except this time the kindergartner has gotten the ‘low-down’ on kindergarten from a first grader. Is everything the first grader said true?
8. Adventure Annie Goes to Kindergarten – Annie wears her super-hero cape to the first day of kindergarten. Looking for adventure, will Annie save the day?!
9. A Place Called Kindergarten – A constant friend to the farm animals, one day Tommy doesn’t show up to see them. Where is Tommy? But a short time later Tommy shows up to tell the farm animals about the amazing day he had, at a place called kindergarten!
10. On the Way to Kindergarten – A fun book to showcase how they are now big, 5 year olds, who have conquered baby milestones, but are now ready for school.
So there you have it…10 ‘New’ Books to Read during the First Week of Kindergarten. Maybe you have some of these or have heard of them, or maybe you haven’t and are now inspired to introduce some ‘new’ first week books to your little darlings! 🙂
Of course, these are just a few of the books that I like to read the first few weeks of school. What about you? What are your favorite books?
Looking for more book ideas, appropriate for kindergarten? How about 35+ Books to Teach Rules and Procedures ? I can promise that some of these books will help you with your classroom management!!